jueves, 26 de agosto de 2010

China's SAR

While standing with a group of people on the corner waiting to cross the street, I realized, “I’m waiting... This definitely isn’t China.” I had the same realization while looking the wrong way before crossing the street, logging on Facebook on my phone, being stopped by Indian guys on every corner asking if I want to buy a Rolex, buying really good beer, drinking great coffee, and of course, watching orderly traffic. 

Hong Kong is definitely not mainland China. I had to catch the four hour flight to the SAR (HK) in July for visa reasons.

Another thought that crossed my mind was, “It’s just so damn pretty.” I think Shanghai is a beautiful city during the day and night, but Hong Kong is probably the most aesthetically pleasing city I’ve ever seen. One of the things that made up for Seoul’s lack of a confluent city center was seeing green mountains between buildings. Hong Kong, however, one-ups Seoul. 

The single greatest benefit is that the city is literally on the water and you can see small lush green islands scattered off the harbor. The city itself has quite a few iconic buildings and isn’t afraid to stray from the safe silver/grey/white color scheme. The only irksome thing I encountered was that the romanization of street signs isn’t standardized (I’m looking at you too Korea).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario